Monday, April 29, 2013

Word Choice


April 5, 2012

 

Malachi went through a stage, in fourth grade, where he cussed.  He never did so around us but admitted to doing it at school on the playground.  Kylah is now going through that same stage.  She does not have the ability to do so behind our backs since she is with us all the time.  So, she pushes the envelope often.  Recently, the kids approached me and asked if they could please use the words “ass” and “shit”.  I said yes.  I wanted to see what would happen.  I know that words are mere symbols assigned by accepted by society and that they were words that would not hurt anyone. 

For the first week, they used the words in as many different ways as possible.   They combined them in descriptions or yelled them randomly.  I did my best to ignore them and not encourage them.  Justin, of course, encouraged them as often as possible.  They quickly grew tired of the new words and are now cussing less than ever! 

I know this may not be the most accepted parenting approach, but it is ours.  I think that they want to push boundaries and see what they can get away with.  It just wasn’t as fun anymore since they didn’t get a rise out of us.  Being on the road has brought more patience into parenting and we have definitely not had near as many rules as when we were home.  The kids, in turn, have greatly matured.  They take responsibility for themselves and contribute when work has to be done.  We can take down camp in less than an hour and the kids do their fair share of the work.  In return, I let them express themselves, even if they must use the term “shitty ass” to do so. 
 
 

0 comments:

Post a Comment